Re: RE: Diagnostic Port Wiring

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Thu May 27 2004 - 10:17:13 EDT

I have an adapter cable that connects to the Diagnostic port and serial port of
a laptop.

There are three different electrical protocols being used by the auto
manufacturers and none are RS232/V.24. To build a cable you need to to have a
transciever that translates the diagnostic protocol to serial (or USB) that
your laptop can use. The module in my cable has the capability of translating
all three protocols to serial.

The cable was approximately $150 but it also came with a software tool that
reads and translates the codes into there definitions, has datalogging
capabilities and a dash board feature for real time monitoring of O2 sensors,
injectors, speed, throtle position, etc.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4