Pulling codes?

From: Jay & Dana (jay&dana@telus.net)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 18:29:28 EDT

On my 97, 318 Dak I've always used the key on-off method to pull codes and
only get the 12 (battery) and the 55 (end), on the odometer, which is good.
But I thought I would give the key another off-on after the 55 and then the
check engine light started spewing a whole bunch of different flashes in
different sequences. I thought for a 97 the codes are only suppose to come
up on the odometer but maybe I'm wrong. So what I suppose to believe, the
digital odometer or the flashing check engine light? Now I'm so confused
:-) Each time to get a different number of flashes on the check engine
light I would have to go back and start from the beginning again, key on-off
3 times, wait for the 55 then key off-on again and then get a different
sequence of numbers from the check engine light.
Anyone experience this or any ideas what this means?

Thanks for any ideas,
~Jay