Re: Hello Again!

From: Peter Grace (pgrace@fierymoon.com)
Date: Sun May 30 2004 - 12:17:26 EDT

I was talking to my stepfather and he said that I may be looking at the
wrong symptom.. He said that if water was getting into my plug boots
then some plugs could be shorting.

The exhaust gas would then be highly charged with gasoline (since it
wasn't exploded from the cylinder) and possibly igniting in the
catalytic converter, thereby making it glow red?

This sounds a bit plausible to me, because the new plug wires I got (jba
blues) don't have the same rubber plug surround that the stock plug
wires had.. The old ones actually had a disc that helped cover the plug
  shroud, my guess is making it pretty watertight for most operation.
The new plug wires are just a rubber shroud around the plug. He said I
may not have put that shroud around the plug far enough to keep water
out of 'em.

I also didn't use dielectric grease -- I'm thinking maybe I'll
reconsider that and goop the crap out of the plug boots -- that might
help stave off water.

PS -- Considering coming to the BBQ -- I'm just in philly so it'd be
only a few hours drive.... :)

Thanks!
Pete