Re: Midwest DML BBQ Convoy

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 09:54:28 EDT

"Terrible Tom" <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote in message

> Ok - figured it was time for this post since we are already talking
> about the BBQ and it is getting closer. I am planning on driving down
> to Chicago late Tuesday the 20th - or very early Wed the 21st. It all
> depends on what my work schedual looks like. Wednesday will be the
> "drive all day to the BBQ" day. Arriving late at Jon's that night.

Well, personally I found that it worked out great for me leaving for Jon's
at about 8:30 wednesday morning last year. I think I made it to the BBQ by
about 7:00 or 8:00 that night. Personally, I'd like to do it that way so
that we're not driving into the wee hours of the morning. It might be nice
to be able to get there while it's still light.

> Is this OK Jon? LOL Nice of me to just "announce" when I will be
> arriving. I thought I asked before if there was any problem with the
> timeline... and thought you said no problem - but I thought I would ask
> again in case anything has changed. If others are planning on arriving
> Thursday then I want to be able to enjoy the entire day of thursday with
> everyone. Only way to do that is to arrive late Wednesday night.
>
> if no one else will be there thursday - then I will adjust my plans
> according. WIll the eastbound convoy want to take 90 all the way our -
> or does anyone want to head up to Windsor and meet up with the Canadian
> Convoy? Leaving Chicago early in the AM - I'm sure we could be in
> Canada at a reasonable hour. Then again - if I'm hauling a trailor - -
> that would slow thigns down and complicate border crossings - nevermind
> that. I was just talking out the plan options here. I dont think
> running through Canada would be good time wise.

I don't see an issue with taking I-90 all the way, that's what I did last
year and it worked out just fine. If you're caravanning, from my place,
we'll be getting onto I-80 and taking that to the I-90 split in Indiana, and
going from there. I would like to come back through Canada though... I'd
like to pick up a few things at the duty free shop, like a few cases of the
moonshine the canadians call beer, not to mention a few cigars... It wasn't
bad last year, the Henry's and I made pretty good time I think. If we'd
have left Jon's earlier than late afternoon I could have made it all the way
to my place in one day. I'd like to try and make the return trip all at
once this time though, my friend who lived in Detroit has since moved back
to Chicago so we have noplace to stop in the interim without paying.

You might want to shoot off an email to both US and Canada customs
department to find out what's entailed with bringing a trailer across
country lines.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L