RE: RE: Re: RE: Distributor Drive Timing

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (fasstdak@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 09:13:53 EDT

I wouldn't throw it past Mopar as there's been quite a few engines (not only
the 3.9/5.2/5.9L) which have come from the factory with "issues".

Look in your FSM - Group 9 (Engine), and there should be pics of the 3.9L
and 5.2/5.9L oil pump shaft slot position - 3.9L = Picture #J9209-133 /
5.2/5.9L = Picture #J9509-47.

Both are lined up towards the #1 cooling passage which is towards the
5-o'clock position - not 6. Again, an engine will still run and you can
still set the sync, but performance will suffer. Also, aftermarket
camshafts can change this position but you still need to set it as close to
the mark as possible.

- Bernd