4.7L mileage and octane

From: Ned Buckmaster (Ned@Buckmaster.com)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 06:56:05 EDT

I have a 2000 club cab 2X4, and my friend has a 2003 quad cab 4X4, both with
4.7L engines and automatics. He swears (and I believe him) that premium
gasoline gives him at least 2 more mpg than regular. When I try premium in
my 2000, I see no difference at all in gas mileage. We have both tried this
over multiple tanks. His gets ~13 on regular, 15 on premium. I get 15.7 on
everything.

It seems to me that His has a knock sensor or something adjusting his
timing, and providing better mileage (and power) with premium gas. Mine
doesn't seem to change. Is there a difference in the engine electronics
between these two years? Can I update mine somehow?
Ned Buckmaster