Re: Re: intermittent coolant leak?

From: Brian Fitchett (bfitchett@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 10:23:16 EDT

I just did the water pump on my 98 V6 after it siezed. Turned out not
to be too difficult for me with limited experience working on trucks.
it was probably made easier having the V6 since there was more room to
work with without removing more than the fan and shroud. Timing chain
cover was not an issue, although the FSM says not to pry against the
timing chain cover to remove the water pump so you dont damage the
machined surfaces. i just tapped the pump with a mallet and it came off
pretty easily. hardest part for me was getting the hose for the water
pump bypass tube to get on there which was where an extra set of hands
came in handy (thanks to my wife!). all in all, relatively easy and no
need to worry about the timing chain.. unless you want to mess with it
while the pump is off.

Brian
Black 98 CC V6
SLC, UT