Re: Gen II clear corner lights

From: Travis Bailey (dusterrt@msn.com)
Date: Wed Jun 23 2004 - 18:40:00 EDT

My problem with amber bulbs and clear lenses (not the crystal cut), is that
if I wanted orange lights I would have left the stockers in. With
non-colored bulbs the whole lighting area looks like the headlight. At the
very least I'll look a little different from the rest of the Dakotas running
around here. As far as the LED problems, you need to get wide angle LED's
for them to be useful.

I had APC narrow angle bulbs in at first (they were cheap from Advance Auto,
figured I'd give it a shot); hardly visable and like you said only shined
straight ahead. I shopped around, and found some different bulbs online. I
wound up with locally available Jam Strait (from Auto Zone), and for the
turn signals I ordered some wide angle 24 LED "Matrix" bulbs from Auto
Lumination (www.autolumination.com). They have 18 bulbs with a 45 degree
viewing angle to shine forward, and 6 bulbs arranged radially at a right
angle to the other bulbs to light up the reflector. If they don't work, I'm
going to say screw it and get Silver Star bulbs. They are running me about
$11 a bulb, my corner bulbs ran $10 for the pair.

For the lights that don't flash or flash really fast, you need to put a
ballast in. The LED's have no resistance and some cars see this as a burnt
out bulb and flash quickly to try and tell you there is a bulb out. I
tested my APC lights with the hazard flasher to compare left to right, which
worked fine, IIRC the hazard and turn signal canister things are the same.
HOWEVER I think you have a more computer controlled gen3 don't you? Mine's
a '92...I think all I have is an engine computer.

Travis
'92 Dak 5.2 4x4
Lift, Lenses, Meats, and Edelbrock Shocks TOMORROW!!

Married. http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=married