RE: Air Conditioning

From: Hop * (hopsdak@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 14:56:52 EDT

Bernd , The fan is working because it roars when i take off from a light.
When a shop charges the A/C system they add the freon per ounce.
What ever the system requires. It states it on the sticker under the hood.
But if you don't have a scale it's hard to do it that way.
The way i've allways seen shade tree guys do a/c is by the low side
pressure.
And they charge it as close as possible to 32* on the low side at 2000 RPM.
I think i might know what my problem is. Either they didn't evacuate the
system long enough after they installed the new evaperator. Or now that i
have a body lift it must have taken away from the cooling of the stock fan.
I didn't remember having this much of a problem lastyear. And i had both
done allready. Or maybe the condenser has trash in it..
Ugh, i may just take it to a shop.
--Hop

>From: "Bernd D. Ratsch" <fasstdak@hotmail.com>
>
>Charging the system at 2000rpm has nothing to do with anything. You put
>the
>system under a vacuum and refill after the vacuum has completed (15-20
>minutes on the average but can require up to 30-45 minutes). This can be
>all done with the engine off - the A/C system doesn't care at what RPM it's
>being charged at.
>
>If it's cooling at normal speed but not a idle, I'd be looking at the fan
>clutch first.
>
>- Bernd

a trip to NY