Re: Attempting to embarrass myself

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Jun 24 2004 - 17:42:59 EDT

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:

: Success! =)

: On Jun 24, 2004, at 02:40, Michael Maskalans wrote:
:>
:> Just to see what I can see, I *am* sending this to
:> -digest@twistedbits, so that ought to confirm if that is the issue...

: seems it is. care to enlighten us on the
: dakota-truck-digest@twistedbits.com address, Jon?

   That "dakota-truck-digest" address is the address the DML list
uses to send out the digest to the digest subscribers. Invariably,
despite the reply-to headers and such, someone will send an e-mail
or reply to that address instead of the proper "dakota-truck" address.
In stock form, this would have caused the e-mail to go only to the
digest subscribers, obviously not a good thing since the digest
subscribers don't want individual e-mails and it only hits a portion
of the list membership. I changed that so anything to that address
will be forwarded to the main list and therefore go out to everybody,
which worked for a while. Then some joker subscribed that address to
the dmlofftopic list, which caused all sorts of havoc, so I had to
change it such that those messages are filtered out. Its been running
fine that way for a while now, but obviously we have found something
that causes some strange behavior. I could probably solve the problem
completely by just blocking any e-mail to that address, but I was
trying to be helpful. :-) I will have to look into it and see what
I can figure out.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'