RE: Viper Fan - Technical Info?

From: James Calder (jCalder3@cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jun 27 2004 - 17:44:41 EDT

I think I just read all the posts relating to the Viper Fan! A lot of them
were from me (jamepc@aol.com, James). I also read at this web site
http://www.inccn.net/techforum.htm that you should use relays rated at 125%
of your draw. " 9. Typically and minimally, rate your relays for 125% of the
continuous load amperage." so if it pulls 40 amps, use a relay rated at 50
amps. The Bosch relays are rated at 50 amps on the Normally Open contact
(87) and only 20 at the Normally Closed contact (87A). The Zettler Relays
are 60 NO and 60 NC (not 80 like I originally thought, that was for the SPST
form and not SPDT) http://www.azettler.com/pdfs/az980.pdf I'll feel much
safer using the Zettler's since I have them, but the Bosch seems to be
barley in parameters. I wouldn't use the 40 amp Flex A Lite. It's a bummer
when you spend hours cutting, stripping, heat shrinking, zip tying, looming
installing etc. and have a complete meltdown. Of course that was due to a
bad ground and not the relays.
Another point is that once your engine reaches operating temp. the fan will
continuously be running at least on low. It will never drop below the
cutoff temp till you shut down. The coolest my engine will run is about
190* in FL winter,40-50* weather. Your op temp will be slightly cooler in
IL winter but not much.
The first time I used part # PRF-30111 from Summit. It's a replacement
thermostat and not the entire kit. This time I may use Hayden's adjustable
thermostat, the threaded one that goes directly into the water stream and
not the radiator probe. Can't find it online now but Pep Boys, Auto Zone
has them.
Keep me informed of your decisions.
James