Re: RE: Viper Fan - Technical Info?

From: kvmac45@comcast.net
Date: Sun Jun 27 2004 - 23:37:54 EDT

Is the Viper fan any better than the Lincoln Mark VIII fan? The Lincoln looks
to be a bigger fan with higher CFM, but has a much higher current draw than the
Viper though. Just curious.

In article
<20040628023707.MOYL25349.lakermmtao11.cox.net@smtp.central.cox.net>,
<srp@cox.net> writes:

> Regardless of what the viper has-- people running 50 amp relays (even the
ones from Mopar for the viper fan) have shown to fail in as little as 6 months
time-- why? Most likely the load-- and associated drain on the battery that
people subject their truck to that the Viper will never see (fan on 99% of the
time while towing, big stereos, fog lamps, a ton of low speed driving, etc.)
That load can underpower the relay... try flipping a light bulb on and off a
bunch of times-- eventually it'll pop due to the high load demand. I've built
my Viper wiring kit on a solid foundation, that is more than 'just enough' in
terms of relays/wiring. The fan runs 30-35 amps continuous on low speed, and
50 amp draw on initial turn on. High speed is near 40 amps continuous. I'd
hate to have someone running their configuration and have a relay fail in AZ in
the middle of the summer...