Re: Re: 4wd light inop

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Mon Jun 28 2004 - 23:37:28 EDT

On Jun 28, 2004, at 15:55, david.clement@verizon.net wrote:

> All the dash bulbs are powered when you first turn the key on as a
> bulb check.
> If the 4wd light does not light then it's the bulb, bulb socket or
> wiring in
> the dash. If it does light then look else where.

Sorry Dave, but no. I just went out and check this in my '98, and
confirmed what I was pretty sure I remembered. My 4x4 indicator works,
as tested by moving the lever to 4-high and seeing the indicator light.
  Upon moving the key to 'run' I got the usual litany of idiot lights
lighting, and the 4x4 lamp was not one of them. I then turned the key
to accessory, held in the trip reset, and moved the key to run, to do
the cluster self-test. Again, many lamps lit, but not 4x4.
Afterwards, I checked with the transfer case shifter again, and my
indicator does indeed indicate.

The only way to test that bulb is to pull the cluster and swap it with
another.

--
Michael Maskalans         <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dak/>
'98 Dakota CC 4x4 318               '84 RamCharger 4x4 360