Re: Little tid-bit of info for Catalytic Converter Replacements

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 00:45:08 EDT

"Bernd D. Ratsch" <fasstdak@hotmail.com> wrote:

: For those who are planning on (or have recently) changed out your catalytic
: converters...I ran across some interesting information (verified as well):

: You must reset the internal PCM "clock" (for ease of terminology) when
: changing out the catalytic converter. The reason being is that the
: adaptives are changed over time to compensate for efficiency deterioration
: of the cat. When we change them out, we use the DRB and select "Catalytic
: Converter Replacement" to reset this. What is the downside of not doing
: this...the PCM still thinks that there is an older cat on the vehicle and
: will change the fuel tables slightly.

   What is the effect on the fuel tables? Just as a wild guess,
I am assuming that the PCM would attempt to lean them out slightly
so as to throw less hydrocarbons at the cat? If so, that sort of
change wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, as these motors run
pretty rich as it is, and could probably pick up a few ponies
with a leaner mixture.

   Anyway, I guess the question hinges on what exactly is changed
over time in the fuel tables. Without knowing that, IMHO, its not
really possible to say wether it is better to reset the "cat
clock" or not. (And of course, even if we knew exactly what
those changes are, which way is "better" might even vary from truck
to truck...)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'