4.7L tapping @ start up

From: Al Figols (albatross32672@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 01 2004 - 09:40:34 EDT

I appreciate the input, but I see how easy it is to
get off of topic here. My focus here was the tapping
at start up. I was trying to find out if this is
common to the 4.7L engine(should I be concerned or
not?) or at the very least if others have had the same
problem. If others have, I was interested to see if
anyone ever had it looked at or fixed.
 I've never owned a vehicle that has had so many
problems in it's short 70K highway miles. This truck
gets it's oil & filter changed every 3K miles even if
I drove that in 2 weeks. It's been treated just as
good, if not better than my previous 2 Chevy's which
have both gone well over 200K miles without a single
odd noise or any major problems.
 As I said earlier, I do have a background in
mechanics, but I haven't had a need to learn much
about the 4.7L yet. I'm getting the impression that
not many people have done work on these engines. I
guess I'll crack open the shop manual to see if I can
come up with anything. I'll let all of you know what
I find.
Thanks,
Al