Mileage 3, or maybe 4

From: mike-lists@tepidcola.com
Date: Sat Jul 10 2004 - 18:26:00 EDT

  Haven't had a chance to read the list at all since I left town, but I figured
I'd let y'all know that I set a new high speed milage record yesterday... I
got 18 even on I-71 back and forth between Cleveland and Columbus, which is
about 1.5-2 MPG better than I usually get.

  No reason that I know of - but I was going far faster than I usually do: in
the area of about 80 or so. So I think that's pretty solid proof that I'm
geared way too short for my tires. If my milage goes *up* when I go 10-15 MPH
faster than usual, when it should drop due to more wind resistance.... I
should hit a dyno and see what my tq curve is doing around 2000 RPM - that's
80MPH as geared and tired now. I think my "cruising speed" might be a lot
higher than I thought =)