Re: Mileage 3, or maybe 4

From: Eric Huff (mopar@ehuffy.com)
Date: Sun Jul 11 2004 - 01:03:03 EDT

> | No reason that I know of - but I was going far faster than I
> usually do: in
> | the area of about 80 or so. So I think that's pretty solid
> proof that I'm| geared way too short for my tires. If my milage
> goes *up* when I go 10-15 MPH
> | faster than usual, when it should drop due to more wind
> resistance....
> I| should hit a dyno and see what my tq curve is doing
> around 2000 RPM - that's
> | 80MPH as geared and tired now. I think my "cruising speed" might be
> a lot| higher than I thought =)

> I would question the accuracy of your speedometer & odometer (and
> thus your mileage calculations). You're right that wind
> resistance (actually it's drag) goes up as you go faster -
> dramatically. There's a noticeable *decrease* in my mileage when
> I cruise at 70 MPH instead of 65

That's true that drag goes up, but he could be right about the
gearing. My dad's 72 charger has such low (numerical) gears in the
rear that his gas mileage is flat from 50 to 70 (or something like
that), which just means the engine is running at an inefficient rpm
while going 50.

eric

--
1974 Valiant 4-door, 318