Re: Looking for highly tech. info. about OD

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Jul 15 2004 - 19:13:09 EDT

Bob Tom <tigers@bserv.com> wrote:
[...]
: The first possibility that I thought of was to put manually control the
: wire that energizes the solenoid. The problem that I see with this is that
: with OD engaged, the computer goes through a sequence where
: the torque converter is unlocked, OD solenoid is energized and then
: the torque converter is locked up again.

   Could putting another interrupt switch in the lockup circuit be
an option? (I don't recall if there is an electrical solenoid that
controls lockup or what.)

: The other possibility is the wire from the OD switch. This way I can
: set OD to OFF the normal way, manually interrupt this circuit so no
: further pulse signal can be sent to the computer and thus leaving
: the computer in the "OD DISENGAGE mode". Unless, the computer
: looks at other "fail safe" inputs and overrides it :-(

    When the truck shifts into OD during a run (and you don't want
it to) does the "OD OFF" light go out or remain on? If it is some
sort of loose connection which is basically grounding the "OD OFF"
button, the PCM should also be turning off the "OD OFF" light.
If the light is still on, some sort of computer override might
be the culprit (then again, a computer override *might* also
decide to go back to "normal" mode which would probably shut off
the "OD OFF" light also). I guess there's no real way to know
without knowing just how the durn thing thinks. :-( Anyway,
knowing the little that I do know about how the system works, I
should think that, after an undesireable OD shift during a
run, if the "OD OFF" light is still on, chances are extremely
good that it was not the fault of the "OD OFF" switch or any
related wiring, because if the computer engaged overdrive
due to what it perceived to be a "user request" to re-enable OD
via a grounding of that input, it would also be shutting off
the "OD OFF" light.

: I am careful not to hit the switch during the race. OD operates
: perfectly on the streets/highways and about 50% of the time on the track.

: Sorry for the length and the complexity of the query, especially being
: so close to BBQ time :-)

   Speaking of which, are you planning to come down this year?

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'