Re: not *lose* low-end?

From: Josh Battles (jbattles@bankfinancial.com)
Date: Fri Jul 16 2004 - 11:27:03 EDT

<werlax@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> So many mods state that you "will lose a bit of low-end". I'm more
> concerned with gaining low-end than I am with racing around at 4000+ rpm.
> use my Dak as a truck. I tow my boat everywhere, and load it up often
with
> 2x4's, loads of dirt, rocks, etc. I certainly don't mind gaining some top
> end, but I've got my eye on the bottom line (so to speak). The problem is
> that I'm having a hard time actually finding ways to improve on torque. I
> was looking at new headers, and I know that to get better low-end response
> should look for longer tubes. I see advertising for "shorty" headers, but
> nothing about long ones. If they're not short, are they naturally "long"?
> Any other recommendations?

Most of the mods that everyone claims you'll lose a smidge of low end are
also good mods for towing. The amount of low end TQ that you'll lose with a
larger exhaust or headers, or whatever is only really apparent for those who
race, IMO. We have a 96 Ram 2wd with a 360, and when we added headers,
exhaust, and full ignition, it really helped out with towing our boat. Now,
our boat is a really nice 18' aluminum boat, so it's not all that heavy, but
it still made a difference.

IMO, the main thing you need to keep track of when doing an exhaust on a NA
vehicle is to make sure you've got some backpressure. Now I've got a V6 so
I really don't keep track of the preferred V8 parts, but I'm betting that if
you use quality stuff you'll see the gains you're looking for. Also,
(again, my truck is a V6) in my past experience headers were either short or
long tube, there was never anything that was just a set of "headers," but
then again, I'm talking about mustang parts and you're talking about truck
parts, so YMMV. Good luck!

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L