Re: Holley 12-920 Question....

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Jul 17 2004 - 23:04:29 EDT

"Ronald Taylor" <scsilverdakdml@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]
: my question is .....the old pump and new pump look exactly identical, right
: down to the markings
: and company that made them "walbro"

: The old one was a 200LPH Pump supplied with the blower kit, the new one was
: a Holley-12-920
: that came in a white box with a Holley part number on it....it was supposed
: to be a 255LPH Pump!

: Is it possible I got another 200 LPH and not a 255 LPH?

    If possible, check to see what PSI rating the old one was rated at.
Generally, fuel pumps are sold as X GPM @ Y PSI. If you change one, it
affects the other, so for example, two fuel pumps, one rated 100GPM at
100PSI and the other rated 50GPM at 50PSI *could* actually be the exact
same pump. (I don't know that the relationship would be linear like
that, I just picked the numbers out of the air.) :-) Another thing
to check would be the voltage that corresponds to the rating. The same
pump, designed to work with 12v and 16v systems, may have a different
output, depending on which voltage you feed it. (Naturally, fuel line
restrictions and such will have an effect on the pump's actual capability
once installed in the vehicle, but its probably pretty safe to compare
advertised ratings as long as you watch for the flow/psi relationship.)

    Does it have a Walbro part number on it? If so, it may be possible
to dig up the manufacturer's specs on it via that route. Or, the safest
bet would probably be to call the Holley tech line on Monday. You can
give Summit a try of course, but if it doesn't have a bowtie on it they
probably won't be too helpful. ;-) I dunno if they'd be able to
identify a Holley pump from the Walbro markings. I suppose you could
ask them to pull one off the shelf, and compare the markings (you could
actually do the same at a parts store - got any of those in stock at
work?) :-) but that still wouldn't preclude somthing like a batch of
pumps packaged in the wrong boxes.

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'