Dead Dak - part 2

From: Stephen Cecil (scecil@npc.net)
Date: Wed Jul 21 2004 - 10:06:00 EDT

Thanks to everyone who responded with ideas. I cleaned off all the ground
contact points I could find with sandpaper and tightened them back down. That
seemed to solve the burning insulation on the main engine ground strap, but the
motor would still only crank slowly.

I then swapped in the battery (an identical Optima) from my wife's car. Same
problem with cranking. Her's measured ~12.7V at rest. Mine still reads ~12.3V.

I'm going to pull the starter and test it tonight along with all the cables to
and from the battery. The FSM is pretty clear on how to do this and I've got a
multi tester, although it is only rated for 10A. I may take the starter to
Autozone for testing that piece.

Thanks again and I'll post another update when I run into another roadblock or
find a solution.

Steve
00 CC Sport+ 4.7L Auto 3.5 LSD