RE: 4x4 Lock light????? - not working

From: Neil W. Bellenger (neil624b@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Sun Jul 25 2004 - 17:22:03 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dakota-truck@bent.twistedbits.net On Behalf Of Jon Slavic
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2004 8:49 AM
To: dakota-truck-moderator@bent.twistedbits.net
Subject: DML: 4x4 Lock light????? - not working

My 4x4 Lock light on the dash no longer illuminates. I took the gauges
out
last night and the light is an LED that's still good. Any ideas on how
test and figure out why it's not lighting anymore?

I had the same thing happen last summer Jon,
Reach up over the top of the transfer case. There will be a connector
running vertically from the center of the case. It's tricky to pull the
connector due to the lock tabs and water resistant design. When you get
it unplugged, connect a jumper with small alligator clips to the two
terminals on the harness, not the switch. (bridge the connection). If
the light works, you need a new 4wd sense switch. A dealer should have
them or can get one quickly. If the light doesn't work, there is
probably an open in the wiring somewhere. The switch is a simple ball
detent affair. If I remember, the wrench size is 7/8". The only thing I
had that would fit is a box end wrench and multiple turns of 10 degrees
or less. The tunnel in the cab floor is probably too close to be able to
swing a socket and ratchet. It seems like something that should last
forever but mine quit at 53,000 miles. Maybe they're good for only 500
operations.