Re:Semi-OT: stumbling problems with 440 Power Wagon

From: rll (charger69rt@cox.net)
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 22:38:19 EDT

>Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 19:27:19 +0000 (UTC)
>From: jon@dakota-truck.net
>Subject: Re: DML: Semi-OT: stumbling problems with 440 Power Wagon
>
>"Jason Bleazard" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
>[...]
>: Any ideas of things to check? Any way he can be sure exactly what the
>: problem is before throwing parts at it?
>
>: I'll forward any responses to him. If you need more information, I can
>: forward that request as well.
>

> I'm not going to be much help here, but what comes to mind is
>its probably either a fuel or spark delivery problem. The carb
>is one possibility. It might not hurt to pull the plugs and
>make sure they are not fouled and that they are gapped correctly.
>If they are really old it might even be worthwhile throwing a
>set of new plugs (and possibly wires) at it. In a mid-70s truck,
>I *think* it should have the electronic ignition as opposed to
>points, in which case that is probably not the problem, although
>somewhere during that era some Mopars came with the "lean burn"
>ignition system, about which most people don't have very nice
>things to say; that might be something to check.
>
> Like I said, not a big help. :-) You may want to join the
>Mopar Mailing List though and post this question there. This
>sort of thing is right up their alley, and I have found that
>list to be tremendously helpful with sorting out these kinds
>of problems.
>
>- --
> -Jon-
>
> .-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --.
> | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota |
> | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD |
> `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'

The "plastic" carb is a thermoquad

Very easy to work on...very few vices.

They do have a pair of o-rings between the plastic fuel body and
throttle plate.

This o-ring has a 5 or 6 pointed star cross section and will shrink esp
during
periods of non-use.

Hard to believe a dodge dealer won't touch the carb...it is not rocket
science.

Last year Checker (shucks/kragen) carried the kit with the correct O-rings.

Two standard O-rings in each spot (4-total) will also work.

The O-ring problem can be verified by looking down the carb throat just
after
shutting down...one will see gas flowing on the closed throttle plates.

Jon's advice is excellent...but i have seen this O-ring problem show up
a few times.

rob lipinski