Re: RE: Pictures of the New 05

From: Bill Pitz (dakota@billpitz.com)
Date: Fri Oct 08 2004 - 12:15:08 EDT

Norah Bleazard wrote:
> I agree also. It took me a long time to accept the Gen III as my first 2
> Dakotas were Gen II. I love the Gen I, II & III, but this new design just
> isn't there for me. I'm sure many will love and that's great... but there's
> just something that I can't quite put my finger on that doesn't hold the
> same appeal. As for the next truck purchase in our future... unfortunately
> I don't think it will be a Dakota. I'm thinking we'll probably end up
> getting a Ram as a tow vehicle and hopefully upgrade our travel trailer to a
> 5th wheel. Then the '01 Quad will remain in our lives as Jason's daily
> driver and hopefully we can keep his '95 as a devoted off-road vehicle. I
> know that these are fanciful wishes on my part... but hey... where would we
> be without our dreams? :-)

The first '97 Dakotas I saw where what made me decide I wanted one. I
always liked the idea of a V8 in a smaller truck, so I always tended to
lean that way, but the first of the Gen III's really sealed the deal for
me. I don't know what it was about them, but the looks plus the power
really sold me. That feeling lasted a while, since I ended up buying a
2000 :-)

When the redesigned Rams came out a few years ago, I wasn't really crazy
about how they looked. After a year or two of seeing them around, I
started to like them more... Now I'd actually consider buying one for
my next truck. I have a feeling that the new Dakotas will be the same
way. I hated the appearance at first, but it's starting to grow on me.

I have to say the same thing about the Magnum -- when I first saw it, I
couldn't imagine what the hell the design guys were thinking. Now I
kinda like them...

Some people just own their vehicles to get from point A to point B.
Most of us on the list aren't like that -- we really have more of a
connection with our vehicles than that. As a result, I think we get
used to things being a certain way and then are resistant to change.
When I first saw the pics of the Gen IV, I thought "I'd never own one of
those... guess this will be my last Dakota." But now I'm not so sure.
It really depends on what the ground clearance is like and how
functional the interior is for me. I can say that I wouldn't buy an '05
simply because it's the first year of the new model. Too risky for me.

-Bill