Re: Highway stalling... OMGWTFBBQ

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Wed Oct 13 2004 - 09:49:27 EDT

"Bill Pitz" <dakota@billpitz.com> wrote in message
news:ckilho$ohl$1@bent.twistedbits.net...

> Given how much of a steaming pile of crap most of the people here view
> the battery to be, I wouldn't waste any time in replacing it. I've been
> happy as can be with my Optima. I didn't have starting problems in
> particular -- the truck would start up right away (although the starter
> sounded a bit sluggish -- my first indication of impending battery
> doom). The problem was keeping it running after it started. With low
> voltage on the PCM (until the alternator gets going), it's nearly
> impossible to keep the damn truck started. First start wasn't hard,
> though. Turned the key, it started, RPMs dropped a tad and then came
> up. I decided to put my jump starter in the truck just in case. It
> made it through a couple more starts until I stopped for gas on the way
> to work. It refused to start up again. I attached my handy jump start
> box to it and used that to start the truck. Even then, it had a hard
> time staying running for the first minute or so. I drove around the
> corner to the shop I always go to and had them check it out. Within a
> minute or two they confirmed it was the battery and my response was
> "give me the best damned battery you have... I don't want to do this
> again." The Optima was what I ended up with. That was 4/4/03 and I
> picked up my truck on 4/22/00 (I think) so I'd say that you have been
> lucky with yours if it's made it this long.
>
> -Bill

Well, from what I saw on the load test, when I returned it for core, it
should have been fine still. The voltage drops under load were a little
more than expected, but they were well within limits, and the graph didn't
show any falloff at all. The voltage drops were pretty constant aroung 9.5v
and revocery was right where it needed to be at about 13v. They actually
told me that they wouldn't have replaced that battery unless I really wanted
it. I'd like to think this solved my issue, but we can only hope.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L