Re: Re: Re: RE: Pressing out U-Joints??

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 00:21:46 EDT

> I don't know if this did more harm than good, but it did work. I saw a guy
> at a transmission shop use a blow-torch to heat the end of the drive shaft.
> Once the metal was heated (not enough to warp it I don't think), but just
> enough to get it hot, he just tapped it with a regular nail hammer a couple
> of times and it came out like it was packed at the factory with butter.
>
> I was glad that it wasn't my car, but the guy was working it like it had
> done it countless times. And, it did work.

The only issue with this is that by heating, you can change various
properties of the metal. You can possibly remove any tempering that was
done to the material in the past.

We learned about this last month in my metallurgy class. If you're
really interested, I can explain what it does on a molecular or
crystalline level.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L