RE: Pressing Out U-Joints

From: Travis Bailey (dusterrt@msn.com)
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 11:40:18 EDT

A lot of OE U-joints have a nylon retaining ring and the only way to get
them out is to take a torch to it and melt the nylon. I had a friend who
changed the U-joints on his S-10, said he beat on it with hammers, put it in
vices, wrestled with everything but heat for several hours..someone tipped
him about the nylon retainer and he had it out in a couple minutes. Kind of
amazing how strong plastics can be! I don't know when they started using
these, and it might be a GM thing but I kinda doubt that. Worth looking
into..

Travis
'92 Dakota 5.2 4x4