92 V6 woes...

From: Zachary Burcham (roadking_dakota@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 21:57:44 EDT

ok, specs. 1992 Dakota 3.9L A500 2WD, around 170K.
Truck is sportin' a nice PowerDemon S tranny with OEM type Dacco converter
that was installed about 3K ago. Lately, my mpg has been dropping and
dropping slowly and the truck is starting to drive like crap. I have been
able to pull 20 mpg out of this truck all the way past 160K and now it's
down to 16 mpg no matter what I do. And it sucks, a month ago it was 16.5
mpg so it's just dropping and dropping. At some stops I'm getting a wierd
random banging type sound from the engine compartment. I haven't gotten to
duplicate, might just be something loose. But today when checking the
fluids I notice there seems to be a bit of oil residue that seems to be
coming from the spark plug hole on the front right cylinder from drivers
perspective. Any help on what could be causeing this? Thanks, sorry so
long.

Zach Burcham
92dakotahd
www.bsu.edu/web/ztburcham