Re: 92 Dakota 5.2L 2wd a/c 46rh 176k miles

From: kvmac45@comcast.net
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 17:23:49 EDT

FWIW, my belly gasket was blown for quite a while on the last go. I probably
had about 180k miles or so on it when I put on the M1. Technically it was my
first mod, and I did it because I knew I was going to keep the truck and the
time was right to do it. Took me close to 3 days to put it on, but I was happy
with the results. The rest of my gaskets appear to be holding up OK, but I do
have a minor leak on the drivers side valve cover. The M1 and the Mopar PCM
really woke up the truck, IMO. Even for a high mileage driver like mine. The
modded TB, which I did myself, also helped out. Those 3 mods cost me about $550
total.

My radiator did the exact same thing. That plastic cap only lasts about 10-12
years before failing. I got by with a bunch of JB Weld on the crack for a
couple months until that no longer worked, then bought a radiator with a steel
cap. Check your oil to see if you really blew a head gasket. Did you actually
overheat or just blow coolant out the crack? You should also have white exhaust
and an antifreeze smell as well.

On the belly pan issue, since money is a concern, get a billet plate kit from
APS or Hughes. Essentially solves the gasket problem for about $100. A modded
intake will help low end, but keep in mind that it has to maintain EGR
functionality for the 92 model year. Otherwise you will have problems passing
emissions if you are tested for that.

My truck still consumes some oil, but it is not near as bad as before. It is
actually running stronger now than I ever remember. I can tell you that the
exhaust, if still stock, is just about at the end of its useful life. My Y-pipe
has developed a long crack, and I have several holes in the exhaust. Looking to
replace the whole bloddy lot with new headers, muffler and piping. The cat was
put on last year, so it should still be OK.