Re: Exhaust and Cat question..

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Oct 26 2004 - 19:34:17 EDT

"Chris Reck" <chris92@insightbb.com> wrote:

: Hi,

: I could use some help determining what I need for my truck. I've got 87,000
: miles so I was looking at getting a high-flow cat (since it's rattling) and
: a Gibson 3" single out exhaust.

: Does anyone know what diameter of pipes I need on the cat to work with my
: wishes? Anyone know where to buy them? I found on TruckPerformance.com
: back in June a direct fit High Flow cat from Car Sound for $138. It's now
: $200.

: I've searched the archives for note of pipe diameters and cannot find
: anything. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

   Prior to ordering, I would recommend scooting under the truck
just to measure the diameter rather than taking my word for it,
but I believe your stock exhaust pipes are 2.5". If you get a
Gibson 3" cat-back exhaust system, it will come with a 2.5" to 3"
adapter which is intended to attach behind the cat where the Gibson
system bolts up.

   You basically have three options here:

  1 - Buy a 2.5" in, 2.5" out cat to replace the stock cat,
      then bolt the Gibson up per their instructions.

  2 - Buy a 3" in, 3" out cat, and use the Gibson adapter in FRONT
      of the cat, so you will have 3" from the cat all the way out
      the back.

  3 - Buy a 2.5" in, 3" out cat, which accomplishes the same thing
      as the 2nd option, it just eliminates the Gibson adapter.
      (Note that I'm not actually sure if this option is realistic,
      as I don't know if there is such a thing as a 2.5" in, 3" out
      cat...)

   If it were me, I would go with option 2. Note that with both
options 2 and 3, you will almost certainly need to buy a length of
3" exhaust pipe to use to make up the difference between the cat
and the where the Gibson exhaust bolts up. (Because the Gibson
doesn't bolt directly to the back of the cat, there is a section
of 2.5" exhaust pipe there, and you will need to replace it with
a 3" section in order to locate the over-axle bends and the tailpipe
correctly.)

   BTW, I used to run a Gibson 3" single system on my '96 318
until it rusted out. It sounds very nice, and without a cat,
it sounds incredible. A high flow cat with the Gibson will
probably put you somewhere in the middle, sound-wise. Depending
on the legal restrictions in your area and/or the amount of
work/hassle you want to go through, you might want to think
about making the cat be able to bolt in and out via exhaust
flanges so that a straight pipe can be bolted in its place.
However, since you are already going with a high flow cat,
I'd probably be inclined to just put the thing together with
the high flow cat and leave it like that. (Or, if an emissions
inspection is not required in your area, just replace the cat
with a straight pipe, stick the Gibson behind it and call it
a day - use the money you saved for more mods.) ;-)

   I hope that helps! If something isn't clear, please feel free
to reply with any questions you might have and I'll try to
explain better. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'