New Guy Trying to Save an Old Dakota

From: Mike Fox (bsquash442@rogers.com)
Date: Thu Oct 28 2004 - 21:39:57 EDT

I have a '88 Dakota 4wd that has been parked for 3 years. I really would
like to get it going for this winter. It has a 0 miles rebuilt 3.9 in it but
It has been sitting outside with the engine swap partially finished.
I reconnected everything and it started almost right up but at first it
would not idle. It would only run if I revved it a bit. I did get it to run
long enough to heat up a bit. At this point I took some time to flush the
old gas out of the system and fixed up a few vacuum leaks etc. Now when I
start it, it will only run for 5 seconds and then stalls right out. The only
way to keep it running is to push the pedal right to the floor and hold it
there and then it will chug for a few seconds until it dies. The only
significant thing that I changed was that I found that the main harness
ground had not been connected the first time I ran it.
I pulled codes and I get 12 (makes sense, no battery for 3 years), 22
(coolant sensor, I had this off for timing), 33(AC, this is normal I don't
have AC), and good old 55. I don't think I learned anything from this.
I have the Chrysler shop manual and a copy of the 1988 Powertrain Diagnostic
Test Procedures Manual. This is an awesome book and would definitely help me
figure it out but every test in the book requires that you have a DRBII
tester which I do not have.
I have been lurking here for a few days so I know there are at least a
couple of Gen1 guys here. I hope that some one might have a suggestion to
get me moving in the right direction.
thanks in advance.
Mike Fox