Re: More Gen 1 questions

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat Nov 13 2004 - 14:32:56 EST

Mike Fox wrote:
> Well I got the old girl running and I have been driving it around for a few
> days.
> After I changed the fuel pressure regulator It blew the fuel return line
> which I had to patch twice. Then it blew a brake line which I replaced. I
> got over all that and it ran but still not great. The problem turned out to
> be a plugged converter from all the oil that the old motor was burning
> before the swap. Runs great now.
> Just a couple more things left to do.
> First, it has to pass a emissions test for me to get a tag. The only problem
> here is that I didn't install the air pump cause it's seized. If it wont
> pass I'll have to get a J-yard one I guess. I'm going to try it on Monday (I
> got 10 day pass good until Thursday).
> Second, it won't engage the front axle for 4wd. The front driveshaft is
> turning so it's not the transfer case. I read Walt's web-site and did the
> checks on the auto engage unit. The vacuum coming from the transfer case
> seems real weak, It does switch sides though. I tried spraying the actuator
> out but no change. Today I'm going to see if I can get an actuator. I was
> also thinking about taking the switch out of the transfer case to se if it
> needs freeing up. Maybe this is a bad idea cause everything is very rusty?
> Also the headliner for my truck is shot. Does anyone know if this is
> available anywhere? Is the 88 the same as later models?
> You guys have been a big help so far.
> thanks again
> Mike

Hey Mike! Sounds like you are making good progress. You will need the
air pump inorder to pass visual inspections checks - you "might" be able
to get away with it if you only have he exhaust sniffer tests. However
it may affect the emissions output.

I have had problems with my CAD (Central Axle Disconnect) The vacuum
lines start out from a vacuum tee at the top back of the engine - behind
the throttle body - they go down to the transfer case. At some point
they go from rubber to metal hard lines. They go to the transfer case -
which when the lever is pulled to go into 4wd - the vacuum is switched
and is sent to the front axle from the T-case. If you have weak vacuum
- its safe to assume that somewhere along those lines you have leaks. I
just reread your post - you mentioned the transfercase - so I assume you
already knew what I just told you LOL

You can change the CAD unit on the axle - but because you said the
vacuum was weak - I would doubt the CAD is bad. The diaphram can go out
- but you can check that operation with a hand operated vacuum pump.

Headliners in both my 89's are bad... if the headliner board is still
solid and not damaged... you can get some new fabric, or reuse your old
fabric if its good - and pick up a can of headliner/fabric adhesive. I
know we sell it at AutoZone - most parts stores will sell it - a fabric
or arts and crafts store would also have that kind of spray adhesive.

Where are the pics?! I wanna see this truck!

Attention Infidels: I am your official DBDoMPfIWUMOT!