Re: Cam Specs

From: david.clement@verizon.net
Date: Mon Nov 15 2004 - 08:18:58 EST

I'm no expert but here is my understanding;

The 210/220 @ 0.050" numbers are the degrees of CRANK SHAFT rotation (out of
360) that the valves is open 0.050" or more. The actual duration from the
instant the valve opens to the instant it closes is much larger. The degrees at
0.050" has become a defacto standard way of measuring duration that allows you
to compare cams between manufacturers. In general terms more duration enhances
high rpm power at the expense of low rpm power.

LSA is the degrees of CAM SHAFT rotation between the center line of the intake
lob and center line of the exhaust lobe. In general terms more LSA increases
low rpm power and also increase idle vacuum, less LSA is just the opposite.

The centerline is the number of CRANK SHAFT degrees after Top Dead Center of
the highest lift point of the Intake lobe. Advancing the cam (having the valve
open sooner) from 108 degrees to 106 degrees enhances low rpm power at the cost
of high rpm power and retarding the cam is the opposite. Most cams when
installed straight up (that is, lined up the timing marks) are installed 4
degrees advanced. Before fiddling with offset keyways make sure you understand
where the cam is.

The one thing you didn't mention is degreeing in the cam. That is basically
actually measuring the cam events and making sure they are happening when they
are supposed to. It is not unusual for timing marks to be off (or the cam to be
ground wrong) resulting in the cam not being set up where the manufacturer
intended.

Dave Clement
99 SLT+ CC 4x4