Re: Speaking of stereo setups in Dakotas

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Tue Nov 16 2004 - 10:35:49 EST

""Bill Day"" <billday@comwares.net> wrote in message

> Mine of course is CC and I actually use my backseat. Has anyone ever put
> some 8's in the rear side pillars below the 5x7's? Is this feasible or a
> bad idea? I think there is the space there, but wondering if it will
hurt
> structural cab itegrity?
>
> Ideas, thoughts? I had thought about the under the rear seat box but
don't
> want them under there and was thinking this would be a good way to keep
them
> out of the way.
>
> Bill Day

The only way to do this would be to use free-air subwoofers, but the
mounting depth would be the biggest potential problem.

A better way to go about this (if you have bucket seats or the split bench)
would be to build a custom center console and put a pair of these little
monsters in there. You could mount them in a sealed interior enclosure with
an opening at the bottom for the air and sound to come out of. I have a
friend that did this in a regular cab S-10 with one 8" woofer and it sounded
great. The only drawback is that everything in the console *will* rattle
when you really start to get loud, making it only really functional as an
armrest unless you design some sort of dampening measures into it.
http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/6w0.html

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L