Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Fri Nov 19 2004 - 14:29:01 EST

""Jason Bleazard"" <dml@bleazard.net> wrote in message

> I'm not too concerned about the location as long as I have enough advance
> notice. Easy for me to say, two years in a row Norah and I drove 2000
> miles each way just to visit my family at Christmas time. If we can do
> the Toronto to Salt Lake City drive and back in winter weather for
> Christmas (once with my mother in law), none of the rest of you have any
> excuse about the number of miles. I'll accept excuses about not being
> able to take that much time off work, but not about putting miles on the
> truck... it's a vehicle, not a sculpture. It's meant to be driven.

True, the trucks are indeed made to be driven, however some people just
plain have an oversion to long road trips. Personally, I'm not one of these
people, but my now ex-girlfriend was. She couldn't be in a car more than 2
hours (unless she was driving) at a time or she'd get motion sickness - even
with dramamine. I'll start saving my pennies now so I won't have to put
this trip on the CC and pay it off later, like I always seem to end up
doing.

> Another thing I just remembered about the Moab area. There are several
> companies in Moab where you can rent a Jeep decked out for off-roading.
> That'd be kind of cool for anyone with a 2wd (or 4wd they don't want to
> risk damaging) who wanted to try out some trail driving. Moab isn't
> terribly central for people on the East coast, but it's a really cool
> area. And Moab does have amenities for large events... just look at the
> Easter Jeep Safari. I was about to suggest we could try invading that
> event, but I think it would be more fun to have our own event separately
> rather than piggyback on someone else's.

I've always wanted to take a trip out east, I could probably even get a
couple of friends to come along for the ride. It might be cool to take 2
weeks off of work and drive all the way to the coast after the meet and
visit the LA area again.

> I'd be *really* surprised to get more than 50 people, just based on
> interest being expressed on the list. But, maybe I'm under estimating.
> The only way to know for sure is to start an event profile and start
> collecting names.

Me too. Traditionally it seems as though everyone jumps on the bandwagon
and commits to these things and ends up having to cancel at the last minute.
Such is life.

> Next question... what dates? Do we want to take advantage of the 4th of
> July? That might be easier for many people to get time off work, but it
> also might interfere with other things people had planned. If there's any
> actual interest in Four Corners, remember that it gets really hot there in
> the summer, which is why the Jeep Safari is held in spring.

That might be a good idea since everyone already gets the holiday for the
4th, however most people tend to spend the 4th with their friends/family and
might be reluctant to attend a meet. I can't speak for everyone, but July
is usually a good month for me. It's towards the end of the summer, but
before the school year starts. That's when I've always taken my vacations
anyway.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L