99 Dakota 44RE - Loss of 2nd gear...questions? (long)

From: Darren Asuncion (dasuncion@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 07:02:45 EST

Hello there,
It has been forever since I have posted anything on here, but I
figured you guys would be the best source of help before I take my
truck to the shop or dealership.

Before I continue with my question, the vehicle involved is a '99
Dakota 4x4 with a 44RE transmission, and approx. 78,800 miles. I have
verified that the fluid level is correct, with the fluid looking and
smelling fresh. I also checked and made sure the throttle valve
(kickdown) cable was connected and adjusted properly. Anyway, on to
what happened:

On my way home from running errands tonight, I was accelerating from a
stop sign when I noticed that my transmission wasn't shifting out of
first gear. The engine was revving quite high despite the fact that I
was not stepping very hard on the throttle. I looked down to ensure I
was not in the "1" position, and it was in fact in "D". Anyway, after
hitting around 30mph, I let off the throttle and the transmission
shifted into 3rd gear. From there I was able to accelerate to highway
speeds, with the OD shift and subsequent TC lockup occurring normally.
  When I would come back to a stop, the transmission seemed to
downshift back into 1st gear as it should. Upon take-off, I would
have the same problem with 1st gear winding the piss out of the engine
until the 3rd gear shift occurred. Again, I would have to feather
the throttle in order to get the 3rd gear upshift to occur.

I went and did some experimentation. Manual low "1" gear range worked
as it should. Manual "2" range would give me 1st gear, but NO 2nd
gear upshift. "D" range would work as described above. Reverse works
properly. If I attempt to get a 3/2 or 4/2 downshift, the engine will
just rev freely.

Some history with my truck: Prior to my Chrysler Added-Care
75,000mile warranty expiring, I had my truck taken to a couple
different dealerships regarding an intermittent 2nd gear flare-up
(slipping) upon 2/3 upshift. Sometimes the transmission would dump
itself into limp-home mode, and illuminate the check engine light when
this happened. The 2 dealerships could never "duplicate the problem"
despite the handful of times I took the truck in for this problem.
The last time I had it in the shop for this complaint (approx 73k
mark), the dealership installed a new transmission relay and fuse -
which did nothing to help the problem. I have had the transmission
fluid changed at approx 15k intervals by only Chrysler/Dodge
dealerships during the vehicle's lifetime. The last fluid/filter/band
adjustment service was done at 77,081mi on 27Sep04. I asked if they
noticed any unusual shavings or deposits in the pan, and they told me
everything looked just fine.

I know I've typed up a novel, and I'm sorry about that. I guess my
questions are: What do you think the problem may be (based on my FSM,
I would think the problem was with the front band), and secondly - do
you think I stand a chance of getting the transmission warrantied
based on the fact that I had numerous complaints prior to the warranty
expiring?

If you could give me your ideas and input, I would greatly appreciate
it! Thanks in advance!

Darren Asuncion
Fairbanks, AK (school); Kodiak, AK (home)
'99 Intense Blue CC, Sport+ 4x4, 5.2V8, 44RE, 3.55 LSD 8.25",
31x10.5R15LT BFG AT KO
http://www.as.uaf.edu/~fsdaa1
dasuncion@gmail.com