Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: Josh Battles (josh@omg-stfu.com)
Date: Sat Nov 20 2004 - 14:14:48 EST

Bill Pitz wrote:

> I don't necessarily have an aversion to driving long distances, but what
> I don't like doing is driving for a whole day or more each way to get
> someplace that I'm only going to for a day or two...
>
> if($travel_time > $vacation_time);
> $result = tehsuk;
>
> :-)

Yeah, that's true for the most part.

> I assume you mean "out west" and not "out east." I think it'd be neat
> to have a meet that's more towards the western side of the country for a
> couple of reasons. First, the die-hard DML nuts will attend a meet just
> about anywhere. Second, it would give some of the west coast folks a
> chance to participate in some whole-DML meets that haven't been able to
> before because of distance and the constraints that come with that. And
> third, the most obvious, is that it would be closer for me. But I'm
> basically in that second category..

Heh, I don't know my right from left either.

> Yep. This sounds like something I'd definitely like to make it to,
> though. It seems to be more "special" than the usual DML meets because
> it has some historical meaning too. I'm okay with driving in the
> 800-1000 mile range (one-way) to attend something like this if I know
> far enough in advance and can arrange school and work schedules to
> accomodate it. I might be convinced to go further, but it would
> probably result in me flying to wherever the event would be. (I like
> the idea of a desert-area meet a lot because I've been wanting to see a
> lot of those areas anyway and could make a mini-vaction out of the trip
> back home)

I've never driven out WEST before so it would definately be something
new and exciting for me. I'm all for it.

> I think the 4th would probably result in lower turnout. Lots of people
> have unspoken "plans" for the 4th to do things with family/friends. In
> addition to that, the places we'd like to go would probably be packed
> full of other people during those times which means less room for us to
> play!!! :)

I think you're right, but historically, July seems to be the month for
everyone. At least the people I know.

> Also, regarding the idea of figuring out where everyone is, I could set
> up a web form that will take that information and keep it. We could
> then import it pretty easily into one of the freely available mapping
> systems (I've recently discovered some pretty cool ones) that would give
> us an idea of how things look.

That would be cool. Would we have to enter addresses of GPS
coordinates? I don't know my latitude/longitude.

--
- Josh
Lowered 2000 Dakota CC 3.9L