Re: Meet locator maps online

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 02:16:19 EST

On Nov 26, 2004, at 22:37, Jason Bleazard wrote:

> Okay, I've posted the maps as I have them so far.
>
> I've included everyone I've seen express an interest in the meet.

except for yourselves and Jon =)

> http://www.bleazard.net/DML/arcs.jpg
> http://www.bleazard.net/DML/no_arcs.jpg

So this got me doing a little researching (very little, really) and St.
Joe State Park in MO <http://www.mostateparks.com/stjoe/> as Bill Day
pointed out to us allows OHVs including 4x4s on 800 acres of tailings
(some 2000 acres in total for 4 wheelers, bikes, etc), and there's an
NHRA 1/4 mile strip in East St. Luis, IL
<http://www.gatewayraceway.com/> about 90 minutes away.

Distilled from the Camping page:
> If you have off-road vehicles (ORVs) and wish to camp, you must use
> Campground 1.
> If you have horses and wish to camp, you must use Campground 2.
> If you have neither ORVs or horses and wish to camp, you may stay in
> either Campground 1 or Campground 2.

> Campground 1 has 40 electric pull-through sites. <snip> There are 35
> basic pull-in or back-in asphalt sites. Laundry facilities, modern
> restrooms, hot showers, a playground and a dumping station are located
> in the camping area. All electric sites and 23 basic sites can be
> reserved; the remainder are available on a first-come, first-served
> basis.
> Campground 2 has 13 electric pull-in or back-in graveled sites<snip>.
> There are 12 basic pull-in or back-in graveled sites. All electric
> sites and six basic sites can be reserved; the remainder are available
> on a first-come, first-served basis.

reservations can be made from 6 months out to 2 days previous.

This is close-ish to the majority of our midwest contingent, not too
far outside St. Louis as far as major city attractions go, and has the
swiming, fishing (though no motorboating), wheeling, hiking and biking,
and is relatively close to the racing.

Not the mountain or slickrock wheeling we'd get further west, and no
real trail riding - just play area for the big rigs, so not my idea of
ideal but definitely a strong candidate IMO.

--
Mike Maskalans   <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota SLT 318 4x4                    SFA & 35s