Re: Meet locator maps online

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sat Nov 27 2004 - 09:15:45 EST

On November 27, 2004 12:00 am, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Pretty cool! I like the relief-ness of it. :-)

Actually, it'll use any texture map you can find a jpeg for. There's a list
of starter suggestions at
http://xplanet.sourceforge.net/maps.php

I was looking for one with the state boundaries so we could see the states,
but couldn't find one. They do have a data file for arcs with state
boundaries, but it's pretty rough and doesn't look like much.

Here's the state lines, such as they are:
http://www.bleazard.net/DML/states.jpg

And to show off the texture mapping, here's what it looks like with the "Earth
at night" map:
http://www.bleazard.net/DML/dark.jpg

BTW, I put Jon and us back on the map, in case anyone was curious. Moved the
average to latitude 41.01 deg N, longitude 85.73 deg W.

> Looking
> at the map, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me as if
> we would need to get out to at least Denver before we start
> getting into any decent topography?

That's always been my personal opinion, but having grown up in the Rockies I'm
highly biased.