Re: DML 10th Anniversary National Meet

From: andy levy (andy-dml@levyclan.us)
Date: Sun Nov 28 2004 - 22:06:25 EST

On 11/26/2004 8:19 PM, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
| Walt@walt-n-ingrid.com wrote:
| : These are just a few attractions I found in and around the Denver area.
|
| [...]
| : Coors Brewing Company tours. The world?s largest single brewing facility
| : located just 12 miles west of Denver. Free tours. Open Monday
through Saturday
| : 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. (WF: being a collector of beer steins and a
moderate beer
| : drinker, I would be up for a tour)
|

| I don't drink myself but I do find distillation fascinating, not to
| mention large mechanical assembly lines.

Better read up on the beer BREWING process there, Jon. Distillation &
beer don't go together.

Closest we got to touring the actual Bacardi distillery in San Juan in
June was driving by the distillation towers. Woo-freakin'-hoo. I saw
distillation towers when I worked at GE.

| - Having most of the group camped together in a pretty cool location

Gotta make sure we find a campground that'll tolerate that. We can get
rowdy on occasion.

| - Doing some hiking, etc. assuming we are in a location where it is
| worthwhile to do so (neat stuff to look at, interesting places to
| go.)
|
| - A sort of subset of the hiking idea would be rather than just
| setting off to see what is out there (which can be fun in its
| own right) would be to set off with some sort of goal. For
| example, picking a spot or a feature on a topographic map
| (waterfall, lake, scenic view, etc.), and using GPS and/or
| old fashioned dead reckoning and orienteering to get there, etc.
| Or, if there are any geocaches near by, it might be fun to try to
| find them - I've never done that before. (I just did a quick
search
| and there are over 1200 geocaches listed in the Denver, CO area
| alone. (I didn't realize how popular these were - there are over
| 100 just within a 25 mile radius of me here out in the
boonies!) :-)

Geocaching is fun. Haven't done it enough lately (meaning in the last 2
years).

| - Another possible subset of the above might be (if enough people
| were interested) would be for a group to head out on an overnight
| hiking expedition. I don't know if there would be as much interest
| in this since we would probably be camping out anyway, just thought
| it might allow for a little more range and an additional level of
| interest.

That brings a whole new level of equipment we'd have to bring (assuming
you mean backpacking), plus permits, wild animal issues, etc.

- --
- -andy

        -Bob Tom