FRS Radios Vs CBs for 10th Meet

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 00:18:24 EST

I dont remember who brought up the point that people could show up
without a FRS radio and be able to borrow them - I think it was barry -
but I'll agree with that. I have (at last count that I can remember) 6
Motorola FRS radios. I know Jon (at one point) had a bunch of them - so
its safe to say there are plenty to go around. FRS Vs CB... I agree
that CB's range is its best point - but considering that the odds are
the people attending this get together will either be close enough for
the FRS radios to work, or far enough away from each other that even
CB's would be out of range -- I don't think that CB's would be of any
advantage for us. I'd rather see everyone using CB's but thats just
because I've used CBs longer and more ofton than FRS radios and I like
them better. (I watched Smokey And The Bandit too many times)

Also - someone said CB's are more money - that is true - but you can get
a nice Cobra for about $50. I have a Cobra 19DXII or something like
that - dont know if that model number is right... is just a little
bigger than an average paper back book... and works wonderful. Even
survived a dunk in the pond at Jons (as did my Radioshack CB)

Those of us with CB's could perform the function of getting traffic
updates and trooper locations on the road, and relay that back to
everyone on FRS. Assuming anything I just posted was understandable at
all...

GMRS has restricting points: cost, avaliblity, licence requirements

CB's not quite as popular or as portable... even handheld CB's are not
as small or light as FRS.

I think its hands down that everyone will be on FRS radios.

Attention Infidels: I am your official DBDoMPfIWUMOT!