Nat'l meet: want opinions about ski resort towns

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 17:38:33 EST

I've been talking offline with Jon about ideas for the national meet. One
thing I thought of if we end up in the Denver area was to center in a ski
resort town. Now, Denver is not decided on by any means, I'm just putting
ideas out there for consideration prior to voting.

I'm thinking a resort town might work well because they always have lots
of accomodations available for anyone who didn't want to camp, yet they
aren't huge cities. The summer is the off season, so it won't be too
crowded. Outdoor recreation is convenient and plentiful, and there'll be
lots of great restaurants and shops. I'm thinking to avoid the more
yuppie places like Vail or Aspen, maybe check in to Steamboat or one of
the smaller resort towns. Figure out where the locals go.

For example, check out Breckenridge, CO. It's an hour and a half from
downtown Denver, so we could make day trips there without much difficulty.
 Dozens of restaurants and hotels. Shops galore. Jeep rentals. Hiking,
fishing, mountain biking, river rafting. Located in the mountains (the
town sits at over 9000 feet). I haven't found loads of campgrounds, but
there are a couple (for some weird reason, combining skiing and camping
doesn't seem to be very popular :-). We only need one anyway. The only
thing I'd miss would be a lake, but there are some close enough to make a
day trip out of.

http://www.colorado.com/activities/city.asp?c=18
http://www.breck.net/
http://breckenridge.snow.com/summerhome.asp
http://www.gobreck.com/
http://www.ski-breckenridge-colorado.com/about-breckenridge-ski-resort.htm
http://www.mountainhighrentals.com/

As for the size of the town, you can see in the links above (I haven't
verified these numbers) that the permanent population is 2408, but there
are accomodations available in hotels, motels, bed & breakfasts, etc. for
23,000. It's a tourist trap to be sure, but since we'll be tourists I
think it would be well suited.

Just a thought. I'm curious to hear reactions, opinions, etc.