Re: Feds Urge Dodge to Make Recall for Ball Joints

From: Darren Asuncion (dasuncion@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 12 2004 - 04:06:27 EST

> Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 09:49:41 -0600
> From: "Chad Evans" <hemidak@msn.com>
> Subject: RE: DML: Feds Urge Dodge to Make Recall for Ball Joints
>
> arent the ball joints of the same design for the 00's-up the same as the
> ones for 97-99 ? If so why arent they recall them as well.

I've had at least 4 or 5 different sets of ball joints on my '99
Dakota 4x4 during its warranty period. The uppers seem to get loose
in about a year's time. The lowers seem to hold up a little better,
but were replaced under warranty the same time the uppers were. So
yeah, I drive on dirt/gravel roads occasionally, but come on - ball
joints that wear out in about a year? My '94 Jeep Cherokee is still
on its original set of ball joints, and other pickups I've had ('94
Chevy K1500, '86 Toyota) did not need ball joints until well in the
150,000 mile range under the same conditions I drive my Dakota in.
Unacceptable. I know many others with '97-03 Dakotas and they all
have the same ball joint problems I do. I hope they extend the recall
to the 97-99 models as well!

Based on the experience I've had with my Dakota (78k on transmission,
3 rear differentials, 4 or 5 sets of ball joints, etc), I will not buy
another Daimler-Chrysler vehicle. This is really too bad too, I've
had great experiences with Chrysler vehicles until my Dakota came
around...

Darren Asuncion
Fairbanks, AK (school) / Kodiak, AK (home)
dasuncion@gmail.com
http://www.as.uaf.edu/~fsdaa1