Electrical Problem.....

From: Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com
Date: Sun Dec 19 2004 - 08:53:45 EST

I’ve had a minor electrical problem with the ‘88 for some time now and am
finally getting around to taking a look at it. After a day of 4-Wheeling a
couple of years ago, (yea I know, it wasn’t high on the list of things to do),
I noticed that the turn signals no longer worked but the 4 ways still did.
Eventually, after a few weeks, the 4 way flashers quit working also. Fuses are
good and both flasher modules worked when tested in another vehicle. All of
the bulbs worked so I know they’re good. Yesterday, while playing with the
truck a little, I discovered that if I turn the 4 ways on and leave that switch
in the on position, the turn signals will work. Has anyone had this happen to
them? I’m thinking either a bad ground in the steering column of a bad switch
assembly.

Last year in my ’96 Dakota, the power lead to the turn signal switch snapped
right in the spot of the tilt wheel in the steering column and I lost the turn
signals on that truck. I had to solder a short piece of wire to the harness to
fix it because the harness was a hair too short and the movement of the tilt
wheel caused the wire to break over time.

Just looking for some ideas before I have to take to column apart. Unlike the
’96, the ’88 looks like I have to pull the wheel off to get at the switch
assembly.

Thanks,

Walt
http://www.Walt-n-Ingrid.Com