front wheel bearing play in 99 dakota 2WD: still there

From: Eric Huff (mopar@ehuffy.com)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2005 - 14:01:14 EST

> > I did tighten to 185 ft-lbs (from the FSM). I'm going to
> > calibrate the torque wrench and re-torque the nut, but i can't
> > believe it's off that far.
> >
> > I wonder if the mopar part is different than the after-market?
> > They might all come from the same place.

I just went out and retorqued the spindle nut. I even oiled the
threads lightly first, but the bearing is still loose.

It's a simple enough procedure, so all i can think of is that the
new bearing is bad.

It's of course possible, but i really wouldn't expect it. I got it
from Rock Auto, too, so returning it will be an extra hassle.

eric

--
1974 Valiant 4-door, 318
1999 Dakota Ext Cab, 2WD