Re: 4 Banger Milage

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 04:41:34 EST

Tom Byrne wrote:

> They also have weak auto transmissions. I had a 94 Spirit (bot used in
> 1996 with 11K on it) and my wife had a 1996 Voyager (bot new and dealer
> serviced) and both trannys went at about 60K. The diff exploded on the
> Spirit. I will never buy another fwd auto trans again. Mopar fwd autos
> are notoriously weak when coupled with V6's. They have cooling problems.

Not that I would want to disagree, but my GF has a 96 stratus, and other
than wearing stuff out [100k miles] it has been relatively trouble free.
   I haven't done anything more complicated than brakes, a waterpump
that was weeping and misc front end parts on this car. The amazing
part of this is that it gets driven like a baja 1000 truck all of the
time. Everything is either full throttle, or max braking. As an
example, she burns through a set of brake pads about once a year. [So
far I have put on 4 sets since she has had the car.] I would have to
categorize the use that car gets as "severe duty" in every sense of the
term. Even at that level of abuse, it seems to be holding togeather
pretty well... I would have no qualms whatsoever at buying one of these
cars.