looking for ideas on a vibration

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Jan 05 2005 - 13:55:02 EST

Hey all,

I'm looking for ideas on a vibration that I've got in my Dakota. It was towed while I was out of town for christmas (flatbedded while still in Park), and since I picked it up, I've had a pretty bad vibration from somewhere in the driveline. I noticed a broken weight on my RF tire, so I had that re-balanced and the vibration got better, but was not cured. I had the other three tires re-balanced and nothing changed. Right now, the vibration starts at about 40 MPH and gets worse from there. putting the transmission or transfer case in neutral doesn't change anything, nor does locking the front hubs.

I haven't put the rear on jackstands to see if I still have the vibration, I haven't pulled the rear driveshaft to test, either. These would be my next steps, and I'd be out doing them instead of asking here if it was May instead of January or if I had a garage instead of a newly snow-covered mud lot to work in. Before I go and get cold and muddy I figured I'd see if you guys have any ideas.

My u-joints don't have any play in them, my transmission mount is still there, I don't see any dents in my rear driveshaft and it's still got it's balancing weight on it. I know my motor mounts are a bit loose - could it be that my driveline is getting far enough out of alignment from play in the motor mounts? If that were the case, I'd expect it to change with application of power (it doesn't matter if I'm coasting or full throttle), or certainly in neutral, and it seems to be strictly speed-related.

What would you look for?

--
Mike Maskalans             <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota SLT CC, 318/46RE/231, D44/Sterling 10.25, 4.10s, 35s on Humvee rims