Re: OT: Dodge Charger

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue Jan 11 2005 - 18:59:05 EST

TerribleTom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
: I
: don't like GM products very much, with the few exceptions of the 89
: Caprice, the older S10-Blazers (late 80s), the 1959 Caddie, the GTO, the
: 1976 Chevy pickup... and Camaros. Oh yeah and the 57 Chevy - everyone
: loves that car - who wouldn't?

(Warning: incoherent ranting and rambling follows...)

  This will probably come as not much of a surprise to the people
who know how strange I can be ;-) but to answer your question - who
wouldn't love the '57 Chevy? Me, me, a thousand times, me! :-)

  Ugh - I do not care for that car one bit. Everybody and their
brother has one (along with their brother's kids, their friends
from school, anybody even remotely related to those folks, oh, and
also that creepy guy down the street - and his dog). I am so *sick*
of seeing that car in the magazines, it doesn't matter much what
you do to them, they all pretty much look the same; "if ya seen one,
ya seen 'em all". I don't really understand the attraction to the
car in the first place, but then compound it with the fact that
everybody seems to think it is the be all and end all of classic
cars and my impression that they are a blight on the magazine world,
taking up valuable space and ink which could be used on interesting
vehicles instead, multiply it over a couple of decades, stir
in a pinch of good ol' fashioned ornery anti-social tendancies, and
at this point in my life, I can (almost) honestly say that I hate
the '57 Chevy. :-)

  Now, it is entirely possible that I am overreacting ;-) but years
and years of over-exposure and undue praise has made them about as
endearing to me as a rollicking case of hemorrhoids. Whenever I
see one on the street or at a car show, I can't help but think to
myself "wannabe hot rodder" - I seem to have built a mental picture
in my head (where else would I build a mental picture, really?) of
the '57 Chevy owner as a guy who doesn't know much of anything about
cars but desperately wants to be seen as a "car guy", so he finds
a '57 Chevy in the swap sheet ('cause that's what a "hot rod" is,
right?) and then loses interest the first time it breaks down, or
there's the same guy on the other end of the financial ladder who
throws a bunch of money at somebody like Boyd Coddington (don't
get me started on that guy!) ;-) to slap together yet another
cookie cutter crapcake.

  If I ever decide that I need a car with bulbousness and wings,
I'll buy a Fury instead - Chebby probably stole the idea from
Plymouth anyway. ;-)

  Apologies in advance to any DMLers whom I just insulted with
my rather broad brush. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-

.-- Jon Steiger ---- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com --. | 1970 Barracuda - 1990 Dakota 'vert - 1992 Ram 4x4 - 1996 Dakota | | 1996 Intruder 1400 - 1996 Kolb FireFly - 2001 Ram QC 3500 CTD | `------------------------------------ http://www.jonsteiger.com --'