Re: Re: front wheel bearing play in 99 dakota 2WD: still there

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 15:23:37 EST

On Jan 11, 2005, at 21:08, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
> : On Jan 3, 2005, at 16:23, Eric Hufstedler wrote:
> :> Aren't some torque specs (like head bolts) listed with oil in mind?
> :> Not
> :> trying to argue, just sort it out.
>
> : not unless that is clearly stated - which I have never seen. torque
> : specs are always with clean, dry threads (which you'll often see
> : explicitly stated)
>

> In the interests of broadening one's horizons :-) here are a
> few examples:
>

> HPBooks "How to Rebuild Small-Block Mopar Engines", page 134:
>
> "Coat the head-bolt threads and the bolt-head underside with
> anti-seize compound to prevent seizing and ensure accurate
> torquing."
>

> HPBooks "How to Rebuild Big-Block Mopar Engines", page 132:
>
> (Referring to the cylinder head bolts) "Coat the threads and the
> areas beneath the bolt head with anti-seize compound."
>

> Edelbrock Mopar B/RB aluminum cylinder head installation
> instructions, page 3:
>
> "Apply oil or suitable thread lubricant to head bolt threads and
> the underside of bolt heads and washers"

and since you inspired me to dig deeper =)

from my preferred technical wizard, the first table on this page lists
equivalent torque values for wet and dry threads (along with other
tables with torque values for certain clamping loads on various sizes
of fasteners)

<http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/TechReference/Bolts/
Bolt_Torque_Info.htm>
<http://tinyurl.com/574fa>

and then I did a lot more reading, and found that the best way to get
accurate torque to to use some sort of thread lubricant, which I
already know. if you're aiming for repeatability you should try to
equalize conditions - your goal is clamping force, and the rotational
torque is simply the easiest way to estimate that clamping power (but
also about the second-least accurate).

The best ways to determine optimal torque are varied, but pretty
cut-and-dried. But the method used to determine the needed torque
matters when you're assembling to spec, and you've just got to hope
that your manual's conditions for proper torque are related to reality,
and hopefully noted in the text as well.

--
Mike Maskalans   <http://mike.tepidcola.com/dodge/>
'98 Dakota SLT 318 4x4                    SFA & 35s