Re: OT: Dodge Charger

From: Tom Byrne (kerib@ptd.net)
Date: Fri Jan 14 2005 - 22:33:21 EST

Chrysler was not on a major rebound. They had run out of R&D money and the
didn't even have the money to bring the PT to market. Without Daimler,
Chrysler was in real trouble. I am a corporate bond trader. My job is
analyzing balance sheets and Chrysler had gone from the most efficient
domestic auto maker in bringing cars to market to the least efficient. When
they first showed the PT to Daimler executives the Daimler people loved it.
The Chrysler boys told them for production they wanted to use a modern front
end instead of the retro model. Daimler insisted on the PT we have now.
Without Daimler, Chrysler would have fallen to junk status. This means they
would have to pay through the nose for financing. This is important as
Chrysler Ford and GM make money only through their finance divisions now.
They all build cars at a net loss. Counter me if you want, but it is the
honest truth. I have corresponded with Dieter Zetsche. He is actually a
classic Mopar fan.